Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

0L's - post any questions in here

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#1 *Ari*

*Ari*
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

I assume Stark and Bure will join in on this, but I'll attempt to answer any posted questions about the faculty, the city or TRU itself. 

• TallTree likes this

#2 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

You always rope me into these things eh...

• Stark likes this

#3 *Ari*

*Ari*
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

You always rope me into these things eh...

How could I not?  :razz:

#4 cgood

cgood
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

What's a good resource for finding housing/room mates? And any suggestions for areas in Kamloops that are cheap and relatively close to the campus? 

#5 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

What's a good resource for finding housing/room mates? And any suggestions for areas in Kamloops that are cheap and relatively close to the campus? 

I would check Kijiji.  Other than that I'm not sure.  I lived in residence and will continue to do so.   Also Stark and Ari lived in residence last year and met people through the school.

#6 *Ari*

*Ari*
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

I would check Kijiji.  Other than that I'm not sure.  I lived in residence and will continue to do so.   Also Stark and Ari lived in residence last year and met people through the school.

As Bure said, all three of us stayed in residence last year for purposes of convenience. It wasn't incredibly noisy (complete silence during exams), lots of hot undergrads to hit on, but the rooms are unfortunately pretty tiny. I would recommend residence if you want to stay close.

Personally, I would consider rooming with a 1L from these forums, as long as they're extraordinarily clean, if anyone might be interested from these forums.

#7 ERMAGERD

ERMAGERD
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'm wondering, very realistically, what kind of a loan situation will be necessary to get me through three years at TRU?  

In other places in this forum people have calculated costs in a variety of ways, but I have not so far been convinced of what's appropriate.  For example, people suggest that you get your BC Student Aid loans and then get 100,000 dollars on top of that, which seems like a lot to me.  That being said, I know that the BC Student Aid alone doesn't even come close to covering it.

Ideally, I don't want to have debt beyond the necessary, and I plan to work over the summers and live on a tight budget.  So what I'm asking I guess is, what is a good estimate for someone who wants to avoid extra debt?  Seems like rent in Kamloops is pretty cheap.

#8 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

As Bure said, all three of us stayed in residence last year for purposes of convenience. It wasn't incredibly noisy (complete silence during exams), lots of hot undergrads to hit on, but the rooms are unfortunately pretty tiny. I would recommend residence if you want to stay close.

Personally, I would consider rooming with a 1L from these forums, as long as they're extraordinarily clean, if anyone might be interested from these forums.

You're such a creep.  Be classy.

• Bure10 likes this

#9 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Kijiji is definitely good.  As a general rule, you probably want to avoid the North Shore although the rent there is a lot cheaper.  The closer you are to campus, the more expensive it is.  For example, there are a few law students living in the Landmark building right across from campus who pay $1200+ a month in rent but that's because it's super nice.

You can probably get a 1 bedroom anywhere from $600 to $900 a month within close proximity to TRU (2 bedrooms or renting a room from someone is obviously a lot cheaper).  Upper Sahali and Aberdeen are good places to check out that are close to the school.  If you have access to a car, I'd suggest going a few minutes further where you can often find nicer places for the same prices.  

#10 *Ari*

*Ari*
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

You're such a creep.  Be classy.

I AM THE ONLY ONE OF US WHO IS HONEST!

• longshot and megatron7 like this

#11 *Ari*

*Ari*
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm wondering, very realistically, what kind of a loan situation will be necessary to get me through three years at TRU?  

In other places in this forum people have calculated costs in a variety of ways, but I have not so far been convinced of what's appropriate.  For example, people suggest that you get your BC Student Aid loans and then get 100,000 dollars on top of that, which seems like a lot to me.  That being said, I know that the BC Student Aid alone doesn't even come close to covering it.

Ideally, I don't want to have debt beyond the necessary, and I plan to work over the summers and live on a tight budget.  So what I'm asking I guess is, what is a good estimate for someone who wants to avoid extra debt?  Seems like rent in Kamloops is pretty cheap.

I would say 80-100K is an accurate figure for the total 3 years (including tuition, rent, food, entertainment, etc...)

#12 safull

safull
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi all. I got sent a link to the general timetable for the winter semester, and am having trouble getting a handle on it. I'm assuming that you're in one of the three sections for each day...

#13 aater0804

aater0804
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering, the tiny rooms you mentioned about is still a single room (with no roomates), right? Also, how much did you guys pay for that?

Thanks in advance.

#14 *Ari*

*Ari*
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering, the tiny rooms you mentioned about is still a single room (with no roomates), right? Also, how much did you guys pay for that?

Thanks in advance.

You won't get into a single room, as they're only for second year students at TRU. I think it was around 55xx for a two bedroom? The tiny rooms I assume are in every room (maybe not deluxe), even single.

#15 longshot

longshot
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationVancouver / Victoria

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi all. I got sent a link to the general timetable for the winter semester, and am having trouble getting a handle on it. I'm assuming that you're in one of the three sections for each day...

Yeah I looked at it briefly but it seemed unnecessarily confusing, didn't bother trying to decipher it yet. 

#16 *Ari*

*Ari*
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

I don't think you'll know what section you have been assigned to yet. As longshot mentioned, don't even bother yet. Your schedule will eventually be on your myTRU account anyway, just enjoy your summer. After all, all of your courses and professors are selected for you.

#17 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

The rooms are all suites and there's the option of a 2 bedroom and a 4 bedroom.  You share the kitchen and bathroom but your little room is yours alone.  Strangely, the individual bedroom doors didn't have locks on them.  

#18 c_hepting

c_hepting
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Kijiji is definitely good.  As a general rule, you probably want to avoid the North Shore although the rent there is a lot cheaper.  The closer you are to campus, the more expensive it is.  For example, there are a few law students living in the Landmark building right across from campus who pay $1200+ a month in rent but that's because it's super nice.

You can probably get a 1 bedroom anywhere from $600 to $900 a month within close proximity to TRU (2 bedrooms or renting a room from someone is obviously a lot cheaper).  Upper Sahali and Aberdeen are good places to check out that are close to the school.  If you have access to a car, I'd suggest going a few minutes further where you can often find nicer places for the same prices.  

I know that I found my place on Kijiji - one bedroom basement suite in the Batchelor Heights area.  Got a great rate at $850/month have been there for the last two years and will be there for this last year.  I would recommend that area if you find something there (even though it is driving distance from the school - takes me about 15 minutes to get there each day).  Wasn't furnished but included utilities, wifi, laundry facilities in the suite, etc., landlords are great.  I'm going to ask them what they want to do with the suite after next year because I was thinking of leaving it furnished after grad and if they're wanting to rent it to another law student I'll post on the forum because it's quiet and a great place to study!  I realize this doesn't help anyone for this year but it might for next year. 

#19 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

I just took a quick look at the one that's posted on the law website and I wouldn't worry about it too much.  It doesn't seem to have the sections listed yet and you obviously won't know what section you're in yet so don't worry about it.

Basically, you'll be divided into either 2 or 3 sections and you'll have all your classes with that same group of people.  There's usually a few classes like Fundamental Legal Skills where they combine the sections and I imagine they'll continue doing that.  For 1L, be prepared for classes Monday through Friday. Some days you'll only have a few hours of class and other days you'll have marathon days from morning till night.  

#20 *Ari*

*Ari*
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

I just took a quick look at the one that's posted on the law website and I wouldn't worry about it too much.  It doesn't seem to have the sections listed yet and you obviously won't know what section you're in yet so don't worry about it.

Basically, you'll be divided into either 2 or 3 sections and you'll have all your classes with that same group of people.  There's usually a few classes like Fundamental Legal Skills where they combine the sections and I imagine they'll continue doing that.  For 1L, be prepared for classes Monday through Friday. Some days you'll only have a few hours of class and other days you'll have marathon days from morning till night.  

And all days, you'll study till you want to cry.

• Anuradha likes this

#21 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

And all days, you'll study till you want to cry.

Jeezus Ari between talking about hot undergrads and scaring them (That is not true ^) you aren't helping ha.

• Stark likes this

#22 *Ari*

*Ari*
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Jeezus Ari between talking about hot undergrads and scaring them (That is not true ^) you aren't helping ha.

LOL...well, in comparison to undergrad studies.

#23 123456789

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

How much is residence?

#24 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

How much is residence?

$6,160 for a 4 bedroom suite and $6,358 for a 2 bedroom suite.

#25 thegreynathan

thegreynathan
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

I've noticed on kijiji that places outside of town give you a lot more bang for your buck (I'm a family man and need more than one bedroom). I don't know the area very well so it's hard to know if that commute would be a viable option. And I usually don't mind driving - especially if I'm going to be at the school all day anyway. Anyone have any thoughts or insights on this? Thanks.

• Noobez likes this