Uriel

Maps and Summaries

60 posts in this topic

the longer I wait, the more I feel like there really are no summaries  :rolling:

thanks for doing this though

edit: we should have a waiting thread for Uriel's summaries, this wait is worse than the oct lsat wait  :wink:

Edited by Platodium
3 people like this

Wrestling with Google Drive, which apparently has replaced Google Docs...?  Nine hundred hoops between "hey here's a file" and "now it's on the internet"... especially when your work computer is violently opposed to dynamic web sites.  Just gonna keep oiling the gears and turning the cranks here...

3 people like this

I am busting my tail building my own based on an example Uriel posted to me on another thread.  For what it is worth I will post them at the end of the semester as another example.

2 people like this

Bump, see first post.

If you're going to try using this kind of format, I'd recommend when you do your own you use teeny-tiny Post-It flags for all the headings and subheadings around the perimeter of the paper, so when a question comes up about videotape evidence you can just look around the outside and flip to the flag "Hearsay" rather than wasting time flipping through trying to remember if it was at the front or the back.

Also, I apologize --- I really wanted to scan in my old class notes for y'all because they were pretty fulsome, but unfortunately we have a new Copyright Act and they would be infringing copies if I were to make them now.

while I "expressly agreed" to a lot of those terms, I only "agreed" to others... ur totally liable bro

p.s. you rock

Edited by Platodium

Uriel, I really must thank you for this posting. Your 'maps' provided me with the ideal 'skeleton' for my own maps.  Working with yours, e.g. filling in points of particular relevance to my classes, was a great way to study and engage the material and prepare maps worth taking into my exams.

I am three weeks from my first exam and am supremely confident.

1 person likes this

Thank you. I've never seen or heard of this mapping idea... It's beautiful.

Can you offer a tip regarding "drawing lines?"

After a few months I'm finally wrapping my head around the fact that regarding a certain issue (whether an object is found on public or private property for example, or whether a parking situation is a bailment or a license - welcome back to 1st year property!)... ... cases are used to situate the facts along a spectrum, and there's a fuzzy line in there somewhere that determines whether your facts sit one side or the other.

I imagine it would be really helpful to actually draw lines representing issues, and plotting case names on them to know immediately which cases support which parties in exam scenarios - or perhaps which cases most closely match the scenario, and which are easily distinguished?

Is this a good idea? Do you have a better one?

Thanks so much!

Edited by Ilinizas

That would be tricky to do.  A good exam question will be so ambiguous that it will turn cases inside-out or complicate those lines for you.

For example, on my first Property exam there was a question about adverse possession.  (In case you haven't got there yet, adverse possession is a doctrine whereby if you have been accidentally using someone else's land as your own long enough and without hiding it, the law will just grant it to you as if it was yours all along.)  Typically adverse possession requires a fence as a clear assertion that "no, I think this is mine".

I could have flipped right to the fence issue and cited that case that supported the plaintiff, but the fact was that he was running a farm that happened to be part apiary.  I argued in the defendant's favour that swarms of buzzing bees are just as effective a form of exclusion as a fence --- if not more.  So the case would have been put in upside-down.  

The reason why maps are designed the way they are, (i.e., to flag issues rather than determine them) is because of your part in the exam room: knowing the cases and being able to apply the reasoning and facts.  Your map should put you in mind of what issues are in play.  It's your job to play them.

On top of that, the principles in the cases don't always cut plaintiff-defendant.  Sometimes they cut owner-renter, or purchasor-seller.  And then the next case might cut the next way on the same principle.  And although Case X says the plaintiff wins, it might do so on Principle Y, which isn't present in the exam question --- so the plaintiff-wins case actually supports the defendant here.

Without knowing exactly what you were planning, it seems to me that line-drawing exercise could become disorganized and unduly decisive pretty quickly.  But if you've got a better method, by all means, invent it!  The common law generally could use your input!

Oh shit…. it's the middle of November.

Map requests for Evidence and Criminal Procedure please! Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Edit: Found Evidence in the google doc linked in the OP. Thanks Uriel! 

Just need Crim Pro. 

Edited by Wenis

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone on here from any Canadian Law schools knows of any website which can give access to past 1L law exams WITH answer outlines. I know there are tons of exam questions available out there, but im specifically looking for explanations and and answer sheets that help you understand how to properly answer the questions.

any help would be highly appreciated as I am sure most f you can relate to how i am feeling right before the exams.

Cheers

I posted this in a different form in the Osgoode area of the site, but this might be a more appropriate place for my supplication.  Can anyone PM me the passcode for Osgoodes portal to access upper-year summaries? Eternal gratitude would be bestowed.

You may have trouble securing that code without proof of student ID.  I would imagine most prudent students would not provide access to their school's intellectual property without confirming that you're entitled to it.

It's tricky, but at least getting a PM here means you don't have to out yourself to the entire listserv.  :)