Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Barrister Wigs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Alon

Alon
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

http://www.stanley-l...ister-wigs.html

Don't you just wish we used these here in Canada?

#2 SylarJD

SylarJD
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

oh god, that's some pricey hair. haha. just think about the intense sweat that gets into that wig when you're getting your lawyering on in court :shock:

#3 PurpleMustang

PurpleMustang
  • Members
  • 484 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

How does that work for female lawyers, out of curiosity? Would they have to put their hair up in a bun and fit the wig over? Or would they be able to let their hair down and have the wig on top?

#4 Hegdis

Hegdis
  • Moderators
  • 3575 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Don't you just wish we used these here in Canada?

Yes.

#5 Lawl

Lawl
  • Members
  • 1499 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Does it say anywhere that you can't use it?

It takes one brave act to start a revolution.

#6 JudeChow

JudeChow
  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm from Hong Kong where barristers are required to wear the wig. It actually does look quite nice. Usually, female barristers tie their hair up into a bun and wear the wig on top. I would love to see someone wear that here. Do our justices wear wigs??

#7 Malicious Prosecutor

Malicious Prosecutor
  • Members
  • 1902 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

I wish we had wigs too. :(

Lawl - I read somewhere about a Canadian lawyer who actually went and got called as an English barrister. He then tried to wear his wig in a Canadian court and the judge made him take it off.

#8 Alon

Alon
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

I'm from Hong Kong where barristers are required to wear the wig. It actually does look quite nice. Usually, female barristers tie their hair up into a bun and wear the wig on top. I would love to see someone wear that here. Do our justices wear wigs??

Jude, are barristers in Hong Kong *still* required to wear wigs? It's hard to believe that after reunification with China Hong Kong maintains such a distinctly British tradition!

#9 JudeChow

JudeChow
  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Jude, are barristers in Hong Kong *still* required to wear wigs? It's hard to believe that after reunification with China Hong Kong maintains such a distinctly British tradition!

Yup. It is nevertheless a common law jurisdiction. In fact, English is still the most common language in law courts in Hong Kong despite officially being billingual.

#10 JudeChow

JudeChow
  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

I wish we had wigs too. :(

Lawl - I read somewhere about a Canadian lawyer who actually went and got called as an English barrister. He then tried to wear his wig in a Canadian court and the judge made him take it off.

*Ouch* LOL

#11 comic sans

comic sans
  • Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Oh, so the 17th-century-style waistcoats and robes are fine, but a wig -- that's just ridiculous!

#12 john.milton.qc

john.milton.qc
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Classy, but i'm sure they're uncomfortable.

After having just dropped about $700 on similarly outdated court attire, I'm not too eager to go out and buy a wig.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be teary eyed when I put my robes on for the first time and I like the way they look - I just think we'd do fine in a suit and tie.

Edited by john.milton.qc, 02 May 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#13 Alon

Alon
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

I just think we'd do fine in a suit and tie.

Heresy!

#14 john.milton.qc

john.milton.qc
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Heresy!

Well, Wikipedia tells me that Hellen Keller said that "The heresy of one age becomes the orthodoxy of the next"

Ergo de facto...we'll be wearing suits to bed in the next life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users