Sign in to follow this  
katie

funding...and other issues

I've been looking at a lot of blogs and such about law, the whole law school experience, and looking for work after law school.

UBC just published that 58% of its students have articling positions. Which means that 42% of its students don't.

Don't know how I can go through the programme with that kind of assurance. Even going into pharmacy would be a better idea (!)...

But what's the consensus out there? Are people letting that deter them from law?

58% is a brutal stat. Having crappy employment numbers is one thing but without an articling position you can't even start your own firm and try to make a go at it! Ugh the BC law market must be BRUTAL.

brutal doesn't even begin to describe what's going on here.

Grazek, is it any better in Ontario -- I am assuming that you're from Ontario.

I'm sitting on an offer from Osgoode as well as UBC but I don't think that the stats from Osgoode are much better.

Wondering if i should just throw in the towel and retake the LSAT and go to the States...

katie,

I'm in Halifax actually, and although there isn't a great law market here it is certainly better than that. There is enough firms in the area to article with b/c Halifax is the regional hub for the Atlantic Provinces. However, pay here SUCKS!

As for Ontario I am sure the stats are much better than that. Toronto is the legal hub of the country so you have a lot better chance of finding work. I think (totally no evidence but speculation) the reason BC is so hurting right now is b/c Alberta is so business friendly and thus Calgary is scooping up all the corporate dollars, and the firms follow the dollars.

grazek, look at the bright side: at least there's work in Halifax and at least you'll get an articling position, even if the pay does suck. I heard that the cost of living is lower in the Maritimes anyway, so there's nothing to worry about (qualify first as a lawyer, worry about making serious money later).

And yeah, BC's economy has tanked.

Well, the stats from Osgoode: 90 (out of 200) don't have articling positions by the end of their third year either. So yeah, it's tough in Ontario too...although I hear that UWO has a 100% placement rate.

How does Dal rank for placement?

That's a big number for Osgoode to have. I would have thought it was doing better than that! One thing is that with Osgoode a number of students may be going into academia so they may not be seeking articles (ie plan on doing LLM, etc...) although I may be wrong about that. It just seems that at Osgoode/U of T/McGill there would be a bit more of those types as usually you need the "prestige factor" to help with gettting a job as a professor (as well as to do you LLM at Oxford or Yale, lol)

I don't know the exact numbers for Dal, a friend graduated last year and said that about 1/3rd didn't have articles secured with about a month to go before graduation (never asked him after that so don't know if it got better or not)

According to Osgoode's propaganda that figure was 97%

my impression is that getting articles depends on how picky you are. Though there are probably more positions in Toronto as there are in the rest of Ontario, there is also a lot of competition for them. I've heard of law firms in small-town ontario (norfolk county) who are 'always looking for young people". I'll admit, however, this is not the most appealing option.

Personally, I may consider summering in a small town after 1L, but I dont think I want to get stuck working in the boonies for the long haul. I'll hold out in t.o. before moving.

Of couse, keep in mind that I dont know what the hell i'm talking about.

Can someone please verify if OSAP is available to those attending LS.

Thanks!

Yellow

EDIT: Thanks for the info Scooby WREX!

Edited by: yellowbulb at: 4/8/05 3:21 pm

OSAP is definetly available to LS students. We are the ones that need it the most (we have to deal with inflated tuition, being old enough for the parents to say 'you're old enough to support yourself', etc.)

that 97% is propaganda. In fact, if you check on Osgoode's website (career->statistics) you can find out what a laugh that statistic is. I mean, they lay out the stats for all to see: 290 students, 130 or so with articles, 70 stuffed in LLM/graduate school/teaching high-school/whatever, and 90 who don't reply.

God, I wish these schools would stop telling students that "97% of students get articles" or that "everyone who wants an article gets one". It's unethical and shameless for the schools to write such figures on their brochures and leaflets.

Yeah, that 97% figure was probably students who found law or "law related" placements. ie. security guard, toll-booth operator, private investigator, etc...

Not likely to improve in BC since there's no real reason for it to do so ... but I guess if you think the situation's so dismal - all you can do is go up!

Actually the situation is improving in BC. Myself (a 1L) and some 2L's at UBC have been talking to associates and partners at some of the firms, and many of them have said that things are starting to pick up for them (some of them are friends and have given specific numbers on the increases in head counts), and even though the 3L's have it bad this year, things should be a bit better (who knows how much) next year and the year after.

Also, I wouldn't put too much weight on current job placements when making a decision on where to go this fall, nobody has any idea what the economy is going to be like in 3 years. Obviously law isn't as volatile as some other industries, but 3 years is long enough for anything to happen.

hey tromo,

that's encouraging to know...

Do you mean more students articling or more students hiredback? Kind of a weird question but I thought I'd ask.