Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
galyavt

Accepting/Waiting

Recommended Posts

I got into Calgary but i really want to go to UBC. I have to send the acceptance letter this week. UBC will probably take 3-4 weeks to respond. I'm afraid to reject Calgary, and not get into UBC. I've heard that schools share lists of the students that accepted their offers. Is that true and would accepting the offer ruin my chances of getting into UBC? Does anybody know if it's possible to get an extention at Calgary? Please HELP!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rejecting your offer somewhere before having a solid backup doesn't seem wise. Send in your acceptance to Calgary and hope that UBC comes through. If not, you still go to law school and could (a) end up loving Calgary, (b) have the possibility of transferring to UBC after first year.

 

 

 

I think it may actually be a violation of privacy laws for law schools to officially exchange information on which students have accepted at their school. This only tends to happen in Ontario because OLSAS is the centralized institution that processes acceptances of offers of admission and you can't have firmly accepted more than one school at a time there. I don't believe it will affect your application to UBC at all; even if they DID have a way of finding out you had accepted at Calgary (which they don't) they understand that the majority of LS applicants apply to many places and send in acceptances of admission offers while waiting on other schools. Its the nature of the game.

 

I have heard rumours that only at the end of the summer when classes are about to begin, do schools sometimes share class lists to make sure an individual hasn't firmly accepted more than one school and to then be able to pressure a student to accept just one spot so as to free up another spot (and its accompanying tuition) to another applicant.

 

If you are on the waitlist at UBC, you know well that a decision on your file may not be rendered until July or August. Best have a backup plan now!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in a similiar situation also, and I just phoned the school and asked. I was told that no sharing between the out-of-province schools(i'm from ontario) occur, and therefore I did not jeopardize my chances anywhere else by accepting their offer. Hope this helps relieve your stress level.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DMS

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks you all for the advice!! It really helped. I was very relieved.

 

I was also wondering if this is a good idea to attach a request to my acceptance asking not to disclose my information to other schools?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it couldn't hurt, at least you've made your intentions salient to them

 

 

 

i know that UBC specifically does not close your account if you accept elsewhere (i asked elaine borthwick that question 2 months ago)

 

 

 

good luck! :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×