Sign in to follow this  
Ally2222

LS Grades and Moving--important question!

Question--If I go to law school in one city (let's say Toronto-osgoode), but I want to article/live/work in another city (let's say Vancouver), will it be necessary for me to be in the top 20% of my law school class? Or could I get a job in the other city with just being middle of the pack? What bearing do your grades have in getting most jobs?

Many on this board will say that you should go to law school where you want to practice. While statistics will probably show that most lawyers went to law school where they practice, is this because firms prefer grads from the school in their area, or because grads prefer to work where they went to school because of friends, family, girlfriends, boyfriends, kids, wives, husbands etc? Firms are also reluctant to hire lawyers from another area unless they understand why you want to practice there. Go to the school where you will do the best, then communicate why you want to move to an interviewing firm. As for the other question, grades are a big factor in getting interviews and jobs, as they were in getting into law school. But most firms want lawyers who they can get along with and fit in, while offerring something new or unique, rather than being pure GPA whores.

Edited by: SeantheScientician at: 4/6/05 12:31 pm

You'll be fine with an Osgoode degree, but you may have to work a little harder to get your articles. Obviously more Vancouver firms would be looking at UBC/UVIC but there would be some at Osgoode I am sure. Another way to do it may be to get a job at a Bay St. firm with a Vancouver office and try to transfer.