Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

UBC GPA Calculation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lukin

Lukin
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

I have a question about GPA calculation. I attend UVIC and our transcripts list only letter grades and mark on a 9-point scale.

How would I convert to UBC's scale, or to an appropriate percentage? For example, can I assume a B+ is 77.5%, A is 82.5% and average them all this way?

#2 almostnot

almostnot
  • Moderators
  • 4308 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

My understanding is that letter grades are assigned percentages according to the same system the UBC Registrar's office uses, e.g. A = 86.

http://www.law.ubc.c.../jd/faq.html#13

#3 Stupor

Stupor
  • Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

Your letter grade will be converted to the lowest grade (not the average) in the corresponding range of %:
http://www.calendar.... ... =3,42,96,0

The scale in the link may differ slightly from the one used by UBC law: ie A should be 86-90, not 85-89, so it fits with what the UBC law faq states (4.0 = A = 86).

#4 coolymx

coolymx
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

assuming UVic's 9 point scale is the same as York U's 9 point scale (9 = A+, 8 = A, 7 = B+, 6 = B, 5 = C+ and so on)

then
9 = 90%
8 = 80%
7 = 75%
6 = 70%
5 = 65%
4 = 60%

#5 Lukin

Lukin
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

Your letter grade will be converted to the lowest grade (not the average) in the corresponding range of %:
http://www.calendar.... ... =3,42,96,0

The scale in the link may differ slightly from the one used by UBC law: ie A should be 86-90, not 85-89, so it fits with what the UBC law faq states (4.0 = A = 86).

Great - that sounds about right. I have a 78% (3.4 GPA) then. I'm writing the LSAT for the first time in February and trying to get into UBC for September 2011. I know its not the most ideal circumstances but its where I'm at.

I understand UBC is a numbers-based school, so I'll definitely have to nail the LSAT to be considered, won't I? How good are we talking here? 170+?

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Any advice? Thanks!

#6 coolymx

coolymx
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

aim for as high as possible. 172+ you should be in. 170 you have a good shot. Lower than 167 I won't be too optimistic.

Try to take the december one if it's at all possible. If not, then just study hard!

good luck

#7 Lukin

Lukin
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Thanks a lot. December isn't really possible - I'm working full-time until xmas and only started studying this past week. I'm going to focus all of my energy in January and hope it pays off. I've applied to some Ontario schools, as well, but I'd really like to go to UBC.

I'm not going to get too obsessed with numbers and just do the best I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users