Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

converting GPA question

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Aurelia

Aurelia
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

where can i find information on how to convert a % average at UBC to the GPA average at UVIC? thanks!

#2 DoesNotHappen

DoesNotHappen
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

They do a good job of hiding the conversion chart, don't they? It can be found here (at the bottom of the page).

Good luck! :)

#3 Aurelia

Aurelia
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

hahaha muchos gracias!

#4 pk_00

pk_00
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

wait, i thought uVic used percentages..?

#5 ypa

ypa
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

wait, i thought uVic used percentages..?

No sir! UVic's index formula is:

([GPA on the 4.33 scale]*175)+([LSAT Percentile]*3) = Index Score

#6 pk_00

pk_00
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Thanks ypa!

So according to that my index score is something like 924.75.

#7 CommanderAubrey

CommanderAubrey
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hey YPA, just a quick clarification on something. You mention that UVic uses [GPA on the 4.33 scale]*175)+([LSAT Percentile]*3) = Index Score. However, I was under the impression, (it is very confusing looking at UVic's various sites), that the University of Victoria used a GPA on the 4.00 scale instead of the 4.33 scale.

So, we are certain that they use the 4.33 scale in their index calculations? Just checking....I have nothing to do until mid-November but calculate my index score and worry...

#8 ypa

ypa
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

GPA scales at UVic are a bit different for sure. The university in general actually uses the 9-point system, but the faculty of Law definitely uses the 4.33 scale. It's not really 'advertised' anywhere, in fact, it's kind of hidden, but they do, and I have sources to back that up!

1. There's a "Five Year Comparison" table part-way down this page which shows the GPA range: each year, the max GPA in the range is in the 4.20s.

2. But if there were still any doubt in your mind, here's a table showing how to convert percentages and letter grades to 9-point and 4.33-point scales.

Using this scale is, of course, a good thing if you have A+'s, since it rewards these higher grades with an additional .33. Beyond that, though, it's no different than the regular 4.0 scale.

#9 cassie-enviro

cassie-enviro
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Hey so I've tried converting my grades from UBC to UVic and I am a little surprised with the results.
If I compute my GPA on a 4.33 scale using UBC's conversion chart Found Here... I get 3.99
BUT if I compute my GPA on UVic's 4.33 scale conversion chart Found Here... I get 3.89

I am a little shocked at the wide difference, I just want to confirm that UVic lumps all %'s for each letter grade into the same boat?? :?

#10 Malaria

Malaria
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

I am a little shocked at the wide difference, I just want to confirm that UVic lumps all %'s for each letter grade into the same boat?? :?

ya, thats how it is @ uvic. kinda rough for you in that it's the dif between an autoadmit and waiting for bonus points. lame. did u rewrite the lsat in dec?

#11 cassie-enviro

cassie-enviro
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hey Malaria, I didnt rewrite in Dec, but I am writing in Feb... I'm hoping thats not too late in the game, but all I can do now is wait... Uvic's method sucks for my average, but I guess it evens out marking discrepancies a little bit.

#12 redpens

redpens
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if UVIC uses the same conversion chart for grades from YorkU?

Basically, York has only letter grades on the transcript and it goes from: A+, A, B+, B, etc...
York doesn't give out A-.

So my question is...does an A from York still convert to a 4.0 on the 4.33?

#13 tatti

tatti
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if UVIC uses the same conversion chart for grades from YorkU?

Basically, York has only letter grades on the transcript and it goes from: A+, A, B+, B, etc...
York doesn't give out A-.

So my question is...does an A from York still convert to a 4.0 on the 4.33?

The best thing for you is probably to email them and ask. It's odd that they don't give out A-s.

#14 CanAmericanLawyer

CanAmericanLawyer
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

My 4.0 scale (at the University of Washington) cannot go to 4.33...
Should I call to ask what my score is? I have a 3.87 and an LSAT in 88th percentile, but I have never heard of dropping courses before. I only have three years of university courses as well (barely) because I am graduating early. Am I really going to get dinged for taking extra credit and trying to avoid an extra 40k/year at an American school??

#15 serdog

serdog
  • Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

Should I call to ask what my score is? I have a 3.87 and an LSAT in 88th percentile, but I have never heard of dropping courses before. I only have three years of university courses as well (barely) because I am graduating early. Am I really going to get dinged for taking extra credit and trying to avoid an extra 40k/year at an American school??

years don't matter it credit hours that get drops

#16 tatti

tatti
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

years don't matter it credit hours that get drops

Exactly as comrade serdog said. So if you've done the same amount of credits in 3 years that you would have in 4 years, you'd still get drops. :)

#17 alexlluisg

alexlluisg
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hey guys, I'm a Psyc/French double major...
as some of you probably know, the Psyc department does grades a little differently than other faculties, as in they make everything 5% harder (ex: French faculty 90-100= A+, Psyc faculty 95-100= A+)
Does anyone know if UVic law (and all other Canadian law schools by that matter) takes this into account?.. 'Cause it's hurting my GPA :(

#18 eit

eit
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hey guys, I'm a Psyc/French double major...
as some of you probably know, the Psyc department does grades a little differently than other faculties, as in they make everything 5% harder (ex: French faculty 90-100= A+, Psyc faculty 95-100= A+)
Does anyone know if UVic law (and all other Canadian law schools by that matter) takes this into account?.. 'Cause it's hurting my GPA :(

I doubt UVic would take this into account, because different departments at UVic also use different grading scales. Exactly like you, my English (major) courses are 90-100=A+, whereas my courses for my minor in Greek and Roman studies are 95-100 = A+. Plus, I doubt they have a list of all Canadian universities and the grading scales of individual departments... that would just be a headache and I can't see them doing that.

#19 alexlluisg

alexlluisg
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

I doubt UVic would take this into account, because different departments at UVic also use different grading scales. Exactly like you, my English (major) courses are 90-100=A+, whereas my courses for my minor in Greek and Roman studies are 95-100 = A+. Plus, I doubt they have a list of all Canadian universities and the grading scales of individual departments... that would just be a headache and I can't see them doing that.

Yeah, I thought this would be the case.. that really sucks.

#20 RainbowBrite

RainbowBrite
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times (I'm new!) but does the UVic GPA calculation take into account summer classes? Also, how does using IB or AP credit factor into using drops?

My situation (each class is worth 1.5):
Transfer credit (IB): 9 credits
1st year: 9 credits (7 classes but I did not get credit for one since it was a duplicate of the IB credit)
2nd year: 12 credits
2nd year summer: 3 credits (3 classes taken, but again I did not get credit for one since it was an IB duplicate)
3rd year: 12 credits
4th year: 15 credits
4th year summer: 1.5 credits

I just wanted to be 100% sure that I qualify for drops if I were to apply this fall.

Thanks so much for your help! :-)

#21 Shunshin

Shunshin
  • Members
  • 515 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times (I'm new!) but does the UVic GPA calculation take into account summer classes? Also, how does using IB or AP credit factor into using drops?

My situation (each class is worth 1.5):
Transfer credit (IB): 9 credits
1st year: 9 credits (7 classes but I did not get credit for one since it was a duplicate of the IB credit)
2nd year: 12 credits
2nd year summer: 3 credits (3 classes taken, but again I did not get credit for one since it was an IB duplicate)
3rd year: 12 credits
4th year: 15 credits
4th year summer: 1.5 credits

I just wanted to be 100% sure that I qualify for drops if I were to apply this fall.

Thanks so much for your help! :-)

It seems that UVic will not count an applicant's AP/IB transfer credits as part of the drops.
For example, I've calculated my Index Score based on the assumption that UVic will drop the allotted amount of credits despite having 15 transfer credits from AP exams. The Index Score confirmed by UVic was exactly the same as the one I've calculated. Furthermore, a regular member has posted that UVic will not count IB credits towards one's drop count as seen in this posting: http://lawstudents.c...rops-confusion/

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about how your summer credits will affect your overall GPA, as I have never taken a summer course.

#22 alexlluisg

alexlluisg
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

I don't see why taken summer courses would work against you...

I hope not.. because I've always done fewer courses during the year and done summer courses in order to space them out more and do better in them...

#23 Shunshin

Shunshin
  • Members
  • 515 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

I don't see why taken summer courses would work against you...

I hope not.. because I've always done fewer courses during the year and done summer courses in order to space them out more and do better in them...

Some board members have claimed that summer courses work against one's application for precisely this reason. Because an applicant is able to do better with a lighter course load that is spread across time, these board members suggest that the adcoms look at an applicant with summer courses relatively unfavourably compared to another applicant that took full courses during regular semesters. I suppose this makes sense because the adcoms desire to "level the playing field" as much as possible across all their applicants. Another reason may be that these full load, no summer courses applicants may be taking on better quality, long lasting extracurriculars such as interning at a big company, full-time work or helping people in a third world country during summer. Such activities are usually not available to applicants with summer courses. As you may already know, strong ECs are a substantial factor to one's application.

Edited by Shunshin, 29 May 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#24 eit

eit
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

I don't think UVic is truly going to hold summer courses against you. If for some reason you took 5 one semester, bombed, and then took 3 and aced, then yeah, that looks like you can't so much handle the amount of work that you might get in law school (not saying you can't, it just gives a more negative impression). But if your grades are perfectly the same across the board, whether or not you take five courses, four courses, or just one summer course, then I think it can't really matter all that much, especially not in a system that uses an index score.

#25 alexlluisg

alexlluisg
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

hm strange.. i guess law schools don't value logical thinking and practicality.. :P
well, we'll see what my chances are once I take the lsat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users