Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

How to study law on your own?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 epson

epson
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

Hey guys, so I wanna study a bit of law without going to law school. Please give me any suggestions on how I can do this. I had compiled a nice list of law books a little while ago, but I lost that list and can't seem to recall even one book on that list. Do I say list a lot?

Here are a few books I'm planning to read:
Law 101: Everything You Need to Know about the American Legal System
Law's Empire
Expert Learning For Law Students
Learning Legal Reasoning: Briefing, Analysis and Theory

So can anyone suggest a few good introductory Canadian law books on contract law, tort law, constitutional law and property law? I would also like to dip my toes in real estate investing so I think it would be prudent to eventually focus on that. That said, what are the best books on property law out there?

Lastly, are there any good books out there on how to effectively read cases like a lawyer and how to do basic legal research?

Thanks

#2 FozzieBear

FozzieBear
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

You could just get a good CAN or two and look cases up on-line.

I don't know about books that teach how to read like a lawyer, but I'm currently working through "Thinking Like a Lawyer" by Frederick Schauer. I like it.

#3 epson

epson
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

You could just get a good CAN or two and look cases up on-line.

I don't know about books that teach how to read like a lawyer, but I'm currently working through "Thinking Like a Lawyer" by Frederick Schauer. I like it.

Thanks for referring me to CAN. I was rear ended last year. I wonder if my case is available there? (I really have no idea how law works).

I checked out the uoft bookstore and I was disappointed with their limited selection:

CANADIAN COURTS :LAW, POLITICS, AND PROCESS
Moynihan's Introduction to the Law of Real Property
The Law of Real Property: Michael P. Kearns
Principles of Property Law: Bruce H. Ziff

I'm concerned with the fact that most of the law books that I'll be reading will be American (And that the BEST textbooks seem to be American anyway). Does it really matter if I learn contract law or tort law from American textbooks rather than Canadian books? Is Canadian property law significantly different from American property law?

I'm calling on all you first year/second year students (specifically property law students) to lend me a hand here. Can you please give me an outline of your syllabus and the primary textbooks/casebooks that you use?

#4 FozzieBear

FozzieBear
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

Have you checked out the buy/sell section of lawstudents.ca? It has a few people from the GTA looking to sell their first-year texts.

CAN =Case summaries And Notes. They are notes that law students take of their lectures and cases. Google it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users