cranberry

Calling all Aboriginal Applicants/Students

Posted (edited)

Is that the job at Dentons? I saw it, but I never got to apply to it, it sounded like a dream come true. I would say go for whatever works for you. I know I have to work and make money this summer so I would take it, the experience there sounded really incredible to dip your feet into the legal world. In real estate law anyway. I don't think I could pass that up. 

It's sort of a toss-up, the PLNSP will better prepare you for your first year at UBC, but I think your resume might be more important and working at a law firm (if it is a job at a law firm) as an intern might give you a boost when we're all scrambling to apply for jobs. 

Did anyone attend the Allard admitted students day a couple days ago?

Edited by Butterknife

Posted (edited)

Hey Butter,

Thanks for the advice. Will you be at UBC in September? Also, I don't think It's the same position but it is advocacy/law related.

I went and it was amazing. I met some of the Aboriginal students and everyone was so friendly. The classes, faculty, student body, and clinic opportunities are also awesome. Oh and they gave advice at the welcome day: don't do anything law related lol

Edited by nojusticejustus
  • Like 1

No problem! Yeah, I'll be at UBC this september too. They said to just take the summer off then? I'm gonna be reading ahead regardless! I can't help it haha. What sorts of clinic opportunities were there if you can remember?

Got a my first "conditional" acceptance from usask today. Will be declining

Hi all!

I am wondering about my chances (like everyone around this time of year, I suppose..)

I am a status Indigenous person. I volunteer at my local Indigenous day center, and have volunteered at shelters and non profits in the past.

As it stands, my CGPA is 3.60. I am taking the LSAT this weekend- I have been testing in the high 160's so far, so that's what I'm hoping for.

Based on all the knowledge here, where do you guys think I could get in? My dream is to go to McGill...what LSAT score will I need? I will also be applying to U of T, Universty of Ottawa, and Western so far. Maybe you could recommend some other good schools I could have a chance at? Preferably in or near Quebec.

Thank you and best of luck to those of you applying and those of you who are already in!!

Edited by taylorbradson12
Mistake

Your GPA is competitive and if you score ~158+ on the LSAT you would have an excellent chance of getting into most Canadian Law Schools if you apply under the Indigenous category.

In my opinion, your chances of acceptance at McGill or other school's near Quebec are very high. Study hard for the LSAT and make sure you have a solid community reference.

U of T is a great school, but $32,000/year in tuition compared to $3,000 ($6,000 out of province) at Mcgill is quite significant. Aside from the ones you mentioned, law schools in your general area include York (Osgoode), Queen's, UNB, and Windsor.

Also, take the PLSNP. I'm sure most people who have gone through the program would agree.

So my cumulative gpa is horrible, it's a 2.8. But my last two years (60 credits) are a 3.5. I wrote the LSAT this past Saturday and I think I did average and will probably re-write in December, I have a decent connection to Saskatchewan and pretty good ECs. I plan on applying to Usask, UofVic, TRU, and UofA. I really want to work in Indigenous Law. I am wondering if any other Indigenous applicants have similar stats and what sort of LSAT score I am going to need to get in December to make my dream of law school a reality?

On 12/09/2017 at 9:13 AM, taylorbradson12 said:

Hi all!

I am wondering about my chances (like everyone around this time of year, I suppose..)

I am a status Indigenous person. I volunteer at my local Indigenous day center, and have volunteered at shelters and non profits in the past.

As it stands, my CGPA is 3.60. I am taking the LSAT this weekend- I have been testing in the high 160's so far, so that's what I'm hoping for.

Based on all the knowledge here, where do you guys think I could get in? My dream is to go to McGill...what LSAT score will I need? I will also be applying to U of T, Universty of Ottawa, and Western so far. Maybe you could recommend some other good schools I could have a chance at? Preferably in or near Quebec.

Thank you and best of luck to those of you applying and those of you who are already in!!

Hey Taylor! 

Those are really awesome stats. I had a 155 (second write) and my cgpa was quite low, my l2 was 3.6, I got into uwo and Ottawa. Your extra curriculars look good too. I'm not totally sure how u of t or McGill works but it looks like you are a strong applicant! 

I am wondering if anyone has used an Aunty for a reference? I feel like she would be the best to describe my connection to the Metis community, but I know that it's generally frowned upon to use relatives as a reference. I don't have a lot of great EC's or contacts that can talk in detail about my connection at this time, mostly because I haven't stayed in one place for very long recently. I am hoping to apply to UVic and UBC with a 3.8/4.3 scale and 3.56/4.0 scale GPA and PTs of around 164. (But no idea how I scored this past Saturday.) Would that be frowned upon, or should I just try and apply under the regular category? Thanks in advance for any advice people can provide! :)

Edited by jska
wrong word

Hey everyone, 

I currently have a 3.3 GPA and recently received a 153 on the LSAT. I’m status and am an executive on the Indigenous Student Alliance, and sit on various committees for Indigenous students at my school. I’m also the founding father of a reputable fraternity on campus. 

Can anyone let me know what my chances are of getting into the UofS, UofC, or UofA?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

First congrats to all those that wrote the September 2017 LSAT and are receiving their scores today! I just got mine so I'm hoping this forum can provide some insight.

3.3gpa 161 LSAT what are my chances? (UofS, UofC, Western, Queens, Dal)

Thanks!

Thought I'd check in to see how lawstudents.ca was doing. Nice to see the aboriginal applicants thread is alive and well. 

• Like 2

Graduating in December, wrote LSAT in September and just finished applying to 7 different schools over the weekend all in the indigenous category. How're everyone else's apps coming along???

So far I've applied to U of A and U of C because their applications closed in November, I'm hoping to get an extra 5 points on the LSAT this December. I misread a rule on an LG game in September, I usually go -1 on PT LGs so I want to try and get that on the day of. However my score now is fine so I'll be applying to the rest of the schools I chose in January. Hopefully we will all see each other in Saskatoon this summer!!

@jska

Your stat's sound really great, and I think you have a good chance of getting into a couple of schools for sure! How did you end up making out on your LSAT? I think you already kind of have the idea that using an family member doesn't look great, It would really be best to find any other person from the Indigenous community, as people often belief that family members will say anything for their relatives.

@law1996:

I know an Indigenous student who got in to uSask + UWO, Queens, with a 154. If you wrote a great personal statement and your references will really explain your commitment to the community, you likely have a good chance. 

@calgaryhopeful2017

See above, your LSAT mark is GREAT so you're doing well. 

Hey everyone! I've been accepted to Toronto and Osgoode. I'm wondering if, in general, there are any reasons to attend Osgoode over Toronto. While I'm keeping my options open for what I want to do after, it will most likely be something to do with social justice/indigenous rights, i.e. hopefully contributing to the rebuilding of our indigenous nations. I'm Maliseet from the the east coast and am feeling that if I'm going to make the move to Toronto, I might as well pay the extra tuition to attend what's traditionally known as the top school in Canada. I've also been accepted to Dal, but like I said I am keeping my options open career-wise, and feel like those options would be more plentiful in Toronto. I'm a mature student (30) with a Mi'kmaq wife and a two-year-old son, but my wife is self-employed, can work from anywhere, and is all in favor of a bigger city vibe. Any thoughts from fellow Indigenous law students, past or present, would be very much appreciated!