cranberry

Calling all Aboriginal Applicants/Students

I want to make this the 'go to' thread for aboriginal applicants. We just need to make sure to report back on the outcomes of our applications, good or bad; it sucks not knowing where you stand in terms of chances.

Thanks for the encouragement, French Grapefruit and ee825. Good luck to you guys too.

Agreed, it's very important for us to get back and report our outcome, stats and even bursaries from schools (if we are lucky enough to receive them). This way not only will we continue to attract other Ab students who are reading from the fringes and not commenting but we will also leave a resource for future Ab applicants to see previous acceptance stats and even to get in touch with us directly if they have questions about our experiences and the process in general.

I very impatiently come home ever day hoping to see a Fedex package from Queen's since I know they reviewing my application info now. Western and Ottawa are still a ways off but I want to know so that I can actualy have something new to report for everyone, accepted or declined (accepted hopefully;-)

Hello Fellow Aboriginal Applicants!

I just heard by e-mail that I am being offered admission to Queen's University for their JD program! As you all know my stats are 3.7 and a 158 LSAT. No word on funding...and to be honest right now I don't care because I got an early offer of admission...woohoo!!!!

To add to this, I had a withdraw/fail on my transcripts which Queen's dropped. If that course counted then my average would be about a 78% rather than an 82%. So...I am still waiting for UofO to come through. Until now I was sure that I would NOT be relocating to Kingston even if I don't get an offer from my first choice Uof Ottawa....but am starting to see how silly that would be to turn down an excellent school to hang around in Ottawa working random jobs.

No word yet form the other schools. Does anyone else have any exciting news?

Cranberry

I just heard by e-mail that I am being offered admission to Queen's University for their JD program! As you all know my stats are 3.7 and a 158 LSAT. No word on funding...and to be honest right now I don't care because I got an early offer of admission...woohoo!!!!

To add to this, I had a withdraw/fail on my transcripts which Queen's dropped. If that course counted then my average would be about a 78% rather than an 82%. So...I am still waiting for UofO to come through. Until now I was sure that I would NOT be relocating to Kingston even if I don't get an offer from my first choice Uof Ottawa....but am starting to see how silly that would be to turn down an excellent school to hang around in Ottawa working random jobs.

Cranberry

Congrats Cranberry! I think you will get in at Ottawa too! Man, that must be such a good feeling.

I haven't heard anything yet. I don't expect to hear anything until the end of this month. Alberta should be making decisions in the final week. I'll keep in touch.

Cranberry

Congrats Cranberry! I think you will get in at Ottawa too! Man, that must be such a good feeling.

I haven't heard anything yet. I don't expect to hear anything until the end of this month. Alberta should be making decisions in the final week. I'll keep in touch.

It is awesome to have a backup guaranteed, and when that backup is Queen's all the better! Well, Ottawa won't drop my withdraw/fail course and they focus really hard on GPA and almost totally discard LSAT scores (this right from an Adcom). So if that's the case, then I don't feel like Ottawa is a lock.

The waiting continues, but at least now it's knowing that law school is in my future.

So... I received a message on my answering machine, from Jiffin at the UofT, saying she has good news regarding my application. Does this mean what I think it means? I can't call back until tomorrow morning but how am I supposed to sleep now?

So... I received a message on my answering machine, from Jiffin at the UofT, saying she has good news regarding my application. Does this mean what I think it means? I can't call back until tomorrow morning but how am I supposed to sleep now?

I think it means EXACTLY what you think it means! Would you accept if you got into UofT?

You won't sleep tonight, lol. I don't think I've slept right in about 4 days, since hearing from Queen's. Is this what the next 6 months are going to be like?!?!?!?!

Good luck VRX- make sure you tell us as soon as you hear!

Congrats to both of you! I am green with envy. I am having trouble sleeping as well as I am re-writing the LSAT on Saturday, trying to bring up my score from a 157.

Congrats to both of you! I am green with envy. I am having trouble sleeping as well as I am re-writing the LSAT on Saturday, trying to bring up my score from a 157.

Good luck to you!! I think 157 is a pretty solid score, although I'm sure now that the nerves of the first write are over I bet you will improve it easily. I thought once I got in the nerves would be gone but nope, still can't sleep. I guess I will already be used to sleep deprivation long before class starts- good training I suppose :wink:

I only managed to get off applications to UBC and UVic this year. And I don't think I will hear from them for a while yet, since I am doing my LSATs tomorrow. Speaking of which, time to leave for the city of my test centre!

I spoke with Jiffin from UofT admissions this morning. I have been offered a spot and will receive a package from them early next week!!!! I don't know what else to say right now because I am in shock. I am so very grateful for this opportunity. I'm not sure about accepting just yet. The reality of moving away from home for three years is a lot to take in right now. For now, I'm just going to enjoy this day.

Good luck to those that are writing the LSAT. I hope my 154 provides a ray of hope for those doubting their chances.

I will keep in touch and continue to update on my other applications. I also found out that the application for pre-law and law programs will be out on Feb 10th. (www.naaf.ca)

I spoke with Jiffin from UofT admissions this morning. I have been offered a spot and will receive a package from them early next week!!!! I don't know what else to say right now because I am in shock. I am so very grateful for this opportunity. I'm not sure about accepting just yet. The reality of moving away from home for three years is a lot to take in right now. For now, I'm just going to enjoy this day.

Good luck to those that are writing the LSAT. I hope my 154 provides a ray of hope for those doubting their chances.

I will keep in touch and continue to update on my other applications. I also found out that the application for pre-law and law programs will be out on Feb 10th. (http://www.naaf.ca)

Well done and congrats! This is HUGE!!!! Try not to think of anything other than how great it is that you got an offer. I spent 2 days focusing only on the accomplishment, there is plenty of time to stress about this and other decisions so just kick back and celebrate. I just got my package from Queen's today so it is officially not a dream! And it is unconditional- woohoo!

Is your offer dependent on completing the program in Sask?

Did they offer you any funding?

I didn't receive any funding from Queen's but am still very happy with the amount of resources available to Ab students through other sources.

I see your GPA in your profile, but think it is on a 4.3 scale right? What was your actual cGPA in percentage?

Congratulations!!!!

Well done and congrats! This is HUGE!!!! Try not to think of anything other than how great it is that you got an offer. I spent 2 days focusing only on the accomplishment, there is plenty of time to stress about this and other decisions so just kick back and celebrate. I just got my package from Queen's today so it is officially not a dream! And it is unconditional- woohoo!

I didn't receive any funding from Queen's but am still very happy with the amount of resources available to Ab students through other sources.

I see your GPA in your profile, but think it is on a 4.3 scale right? What was your actual cGPA in percentage?

Congratulations!!!!

You're right. I will take some time to let this sink in. My package should arrive Tuesday. I can't believe it.

My offer does not require me to attend the PLSNP. However, I will consider taking it (PLSNP) if I can find funding. I just think it would set me on the right path.

They are sending me a financial aid application. From what I understand, UofT is entirely "needs" based. I will let you know what comes of it. I should know before the end of March.

My GPA shown is on a 4.5 scale with Manitoba's drops. If you convert my grades directly without dropping anything I would have a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 (not sure about percentage). I do not have a complete 4 year degree. I have other education (non-university but still post-secondary) that may have been considered too. I realize that these numbers by themselves are not impressive but I honestly feel that the strength of my application came from a combination of my references, life/work experience and statement. Haha, at least that is how I feel now. Acceptance anxiety can really do a number on your confidence.

Congratulations!!!!

You're right. I will take some time to let this sink in. My package should arrive Tuesday. I can't believe it.

My offer does not require me to attend the PLSNP. However, I will consider taking it (PLSNP) if I can find funding. I just think it would set me on the right path.

They are sending me a financial aid application. From what I understand, UofT is entirely "needs" based. I will let you know what comes of it. I should know before the end of March.

My GPA shown is on a 4.5 scale with Manitoba's drops. If you convert my grades directly without dropping anything I would have a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 (not sure about percentage). I do not have a complete 4 year degree. I have other education (non-university but still post-secondary) that may have been considered too. I realize that these numbers by themselves are not impressive but I honestly feel that the strength of my application came from a combination of my references, life/work experience and statement. Haha, at least that is how I feel now. Acceptance anxiety can really do a number on your confidence.

I agree in terms of the importance of a more holistic application. I think this is the benefit of being an Ab applicant and older than most students. We simply have more work experience, and the chance to have some unique references. Not to say that the average 22 year old applicant isn't set up to do very well in school, but there is only so much experience you can accumulate if most of your life has been doing post secondary, that and you references have to be academic while Ab applicants can use varied sources for references.

I remember my first year of undergrad a prof saying that there is 0 correlation between high school marks and how well one does in University. He said that based on the stats 1st year university students might as well not even attend high school. I think that law school may be similar in that grades are not the only indicator of someone's drive, their ability to network, and their ability to make opportunities for themselves which are key for success in the working world.

I hear you, watching message boards all day and (im)patiently waiting for a website to say "accepted" has actually changed me for life I think! Never have I experienced such an emotional roller coaster...and man there is no better feeling than actually getting an offer!

So VRX, the question of the hour is:

Have you decided whether or not to join me in Ontario and accept at UofT?

I'm still waiting on UofO but am getting a lot of people advising me that Queen's is a far better choice, including that they have a solid "old boys network" which is key in a field like law (or any field for that matter). The though of living in Kingston on during the week and back in Ottawa on weekends is not thrilling but what's a small sacrifice now if it means practicing the type of law I am interested in and finding a job with ease.

I can imagine that you are going through something similar- cost and location of UofT, but the job prospects and prestige afterward would be pretty amazing I would imagine. Every firm I am interested in has grads from UofT, Oz and Queen's...maybe there is something to that, lol.

I'm still waiting on UofO but am getting a lot of people advising me that Queen's is a far better choice, including that they have a solid "old boys network" which is key in a field like law (or any field for that matter). The though of living in Kingston on during the week and back in Ottawa on weekends is not thrilling but what's a small sacrifice now if it means practicing the type of law I am interested in and finding a job with ease.

I can imagine that you are going through something similar- cost and location of UofT, but the job prospects and prestige afterward would be pretty amazing I would imagine. Every firm I am interested in has grads from UofT, Oz and Queen's...maybe there is something to that, lol.

Yes, I have decided to accept at UofT. I think it would be a good experience for me. I never thought I would be offered a spot but wanted to at least throw my hat in the ring -the Hail Mary pass ended up being caught and carried in for a touchdown. I have also removed my stats from being displayed; I do not want to belittle the efforts and accomplishments of those with superior stats. However, I will speak with anyone who has questions regarding my application. So for now, I am waiting for my acceptance package. The reality of my situation will become easier to believe when I have something concrete in hand.

Initially, I did not want to accept the offer but my family and friends have convinced me that going to UofT would be the right decision. I am concerned about costs, being away from home (friends, family, prairies), and the level of talent at UofT. Ultimately, I am making the decision that feels right for me. I also have an Uncle who lives in Milton (60km from Toronto, I think), and that is major factor for me, as I will be able to have some contact with family and ease into life in Toronto.

I think you will get the offer from Ottawa and that it will come to a decision between it and Queen's. I don't know how much the "prestige" of schools counts for in the real world. I think for the most part, each Canadian law school has its own merits. It might come down to exactly what you are saying: a small sacrifice to gain in the long run.

I'm still having a hard time believing this offer is real at the moment. I'm looking forward to getting an acceptance package in the mail... It should come in today or tomorrow.

Yes, I have decided to accept at UofT. I think it would be a good experience for me. I never thought I would be offered a spot but wanted to at least throw my hat in the ring -the Hail Mary pass ended up being caught and carried in for a touchdown. I have also removed my stats from being displayed; I do not want to belittle the efforts and accomplishments of those with superior stats. However, I will speak with anyone who has questions regarding my application. So for now, I am waiting for my acceptance package. The reality of my situation will become easier to believe when I have something concrete in hand.

Initially, I did not want to accept the offer but my family and friends have convinced me that going to UofT would be the right decision. I am concerned about costs, being away from home (friends, family, prairies), and the level of talent at UofT. Ultimately, I am making the decision that feels right for me. I also have an Uncle who lives in Milton (60km from Toronto, I think), and that is major factor for me, as I will be able to have some contact with family and ease into life in Toronto.

I think you will get the offer from Ottawa and that it will come to a decision between it and Queen's. I don't know how much the "prestige" of schools counts for in the real world. I think for the most part, each Canadian law school has its own merits. It might come down to exactly what you are saying: a small sacrifice to gain in the long run.

I'm still having a hard time believing this offer is real at the moment. I'm looking forward to getting an acceptance package in the mail... It should come in today or tomorrow.

Great news! Although we've never met, I am actually excited for you! I think all of the things that concern you will ultimately make you a better lawyer and will help you grow as a person. Milton is not a bad Go train/bus ride to UofT (by GTA standards), do you think you would live with your uncle? Milton is a nice town, but if you want the real urban experience you may want to live right down town. It is expensive but the experience will be worth it. Let me know if you have any questions about Toronto, I relocated form the GTA after about 5 years or so to Ottawa.

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I thought that Queen's made a mistake and that maybe I am not getting an offer, everyday I would expect to see a package form FedEx and when I saw nothing I would start to wonder if I really got in.

Then the package came and 6 months of stress vanished, and was replaced with a huge sense of relief and confidence. now I spend my time researching Metis bursaries and thinking about how to fund my education...but compared to the LSAT and the waiting game, its a breeze.

Congratulations again!

Great news! Although we've never met, I am actually excited for you! I think all of the things that concern you will ultimately make you a better lawyer and will help you grow as a person. Milton is not a bad Go train/bus ride to UofT (by GTA standards), do you think you would live with your uncle? Milton is a nice town, but if you want the real urban experience you may want to live right down town. It is expensive but the experience will be worth it. Let me know if you have any questions about Toronto, I relocated form the GTA after about 5 years or so to Ottawa.

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I thought that Queen's made a mistake and that maybe I am not getting an offer, everyday I would expect to see a package form FedEx and when I saw nothing I would start to wonder if I really got in.

Then the package came and 6 months of stress vanished, and was replaced with a huge sense of relief and confidence. now I spend my time researching Metis bursaries and thinking about how to fund my education...but compared to the LSAT and the waiting game, its a breeze.

Congratulations again!

Thanks so much!

I actually could use some help finding the right place to live. Do you have any specific suggestions? I am kind of leaning towards living downtown. I know it will rack up the debt but I want to enjoy this experience.

Congratulations again!

If you've never been to Toronto then here are a few cool neighborhoods to check out:

http://www.greektowntoronto.com/

Greek town is one of my favourites and right on a subway line. Lots of nice restaurants, not all Greek but tons of Greek food too.

http://www.toronto.com/attractions/listing/100510

The distillery district is very centrally located and again has cool pubs and restaurants.

Queen street is a favourite for shopping. Again located right in the heart of the city, close to everything and BUSY BUSY BUSY!!!!!

http://www.showmetoronto.com/toronto_to ... t_west.htm

St Lawrence market is awesome, a year round farmers market with...well everything you could imagine:

http://www.stlawrencemarketbia.ca/

Although not right downtown, stay well away from Jane and Finch area. In fact google map any place you are thinking of living and if it is anywhere near Jane and Finch (25 KM radius) stay away. It is a VERY tough area, lots of poverty and as a result crime.

The Danforth is near some dicey areas but the neighborhood itself is decent. If you are open to living with roommates then obviously you will open up your options considerably and in Toronto it really is the norm to have roommates almost regardless of your age.

A friend of mine lived in married student housing at UofT and not only was it really cheap but it was right downtown and really nice and huge! You may want to look into grad student housing or law student housing if they have it. I remember liking the feel since it was all mature students and families and so very low key, but within easy walking distance to the downtown core.

Hope this gets you started!

Thanks so much!

I actually could use some help finding the right place to live. Do you have any specific suggestions? I am kind of leaning towards living downtown. I know it will rack up the debt but I want to enjoy this experience.

If you've never been to Toronto then here are a few cool neighborhoods to check out:

http://www.greektowntoronto.com/

Greek town is one of my favourites and right on a subway line. Lots of nice restaurants, not all Greek but tons of Greek food too.

http://www.toronto.com/attractions/listing/100510

The distillery district is very centrally located and again has cool pubs and restaurants.

Queen street is a favourite for shopping. Again located right in the heart of the city, close to everything and BUSY BUSY BUSY!!!!!

http://www.showmetoronto.com/toronto_to ... t_west.htm

St Lawrence market is awesome, a year round farmers market with...well everything you could imagine:

http://www.stlawrencemarketbia.ca/

Although not right downtown, stay well away from Jane and Finch area. In fact google map any place you are thinking of living and if it is anywhere near Jane and Finch (25 KM radius) stay away. It is a VERY tough area, lots of poverty and as a result crime.

The Danforth is near some dicey areas but the neighborhood itself is decent. If you are open to living with roommates then obviously you will open up your options considerably and in Toronto it really is the norm to have roommates almost regardless of your age.

A friend of mine lived in married student housing at UofT and not only was it really cheap but it was right downtown and really nice and huge! You may want to look into grad student housing or law student housing if they have it. I remember liking the feel since it was all mature students and families and so very low key, but within easy walking distance to the downtown core.

Hope this gets you started!