cranberry

Calling all Aboriginal Applicants/Students

My Stats/EC/Work Experience:

CGPA - 3.59 (It is actually 3.7 at my University but it gets scaled down)

LSAT - 153 (I was disappointed!)

Bachelor of Commerce (Co-op) Honours - Minor in Political Science

Extra-curricular - I represent Aboriginals on my Student Union

Sit on a Board for a Not-for-profit organization

Plenty of school related extra stuff, including travel paid for by school

Beta Gamma Sigma Member (Top 7% of the class)

Work Terms - Commercial Lending

Two at the Auditor General's Office

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/pb-dgp/ ... -aeda.html

Here is the link for the funding I described earlier. I spoke with Rachel Hill (an Education Analyst for the NAAF); she said that the link for the application would be up in February.

I'm interested in the PLSNP and would go if I could secure funding as well. Quitting a job in May instead of in September is difficult when you have bills to pay.

In other news, I spoke with an aboriginal student at UofT. She said the UofT is not so much concerned with LSAT scores as they are on GPA. She told me that she did terrible (emphasized) on the LSAT but had a competitive GPA and is doing extremely well in first-year. So, don't rule yourselves out of the more competitive schools based on your stats alone. I received a letter from UofT inviting me to apply late as an aboriginal applicant - I know it couldn't have been because of my LSAT score.

Hi vrx,

How late an application will UofT consider? Is it too late to apply now as a First-Nations applicant?

Hi vrx,

How late an application will UofT consider? Is it too late to apply now as a First-Nations applicant?

In all honesty, I don't know. I wasn't planning on applying to any Ontario schools, least of all UofT. I just didn't feel my stats would make me competitive and $260 bucks could be spent on many other things. I received a letter and application package in December from UofT highlighting their aboriginal law programs, student groups and other opportunities for funding. They offered to extend their deadline to January 15, 2010. I decided to apply and risk paying for a $260 dollar rejection letter.

In your case, I would email the UofT admissions and let them know you would like to apply late. The reason they sent me the letter could be for a number of reasons (ie. Metis, Manitoba resident, Military member). A number of law schools have sent me things trying to appeal to military members. I think UofT would be an awesome law school to attend but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

My Stats/EC/Work Experience:

CGPA - 3.59 (It is actually 3.7 at my University but it gets scaled down)

LSAT - 153 (I was disappointed!)

Bachelor of Commerce (Co-op) Honours - Minor in Political Science

Extra-curricular - I represent Aboriginals on my Student Union

Sit on a Board for a Not-for-profit organization

Plenty of school related extra stuff, including travel paid for by school

Beta Gamma Sigma Member (Top 7% of the class)

Work Terms - Commercial Lending

Two at the Auditor General's Office

Where are you applying?

Honestly, I hated Saskatoon while I was there. It was cold and it was a really challenging course. They essentially condense 8 months of material into 8 weeks. My offer was conditional on passing, so I also gave up my employment early and took the financial risk. The real benefit of attending the program is that you get 1 transfer credit which gives you more "free" time to study other courses. They also teach you how to write law memos/mid-terms/exams. As a result, you come to law school more confident and prepared.

The justice bursary was up to $3500 for students. It was formerly handled by the justice department, but it looks like it is being handled by "NAAF" (National Aboriginal Achievement Foundation). I received $3500 which covered "most" of my costs. Here is the old link to the bursary - you should be re-directed to NAAF for more details.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/pb-dgp/ ... -aeda.html

I will PM you the other details : )

• Like 1

I only applied to Osgoode. I fit into the automatically admitted section of the Aboriginal category based on my LSAT and CGPA. I haven't heard back officially yet.

I like Osgoode because they are very clear with their Aboriginal admissions. I am also on par with the students who go there in terms of CGPA (around 3.60) as opposed to U of T where the average GPA is 3.85.

In addition, I like it over other Ontario schools because of the proximity to Bay Street, as my ambitions are on to work in Corporate Law!

Hey guys,

just heard from U of Ottawa and they have not yet begun to assess Aboriginal applications yet and no word as to when they will begin. According to Western they evaluate files as they become complete...what exactly this means I don't know, but I just completed my file today so hope to hear soon.

As soon as I hear I will post it and fill everyone in. Does anyone have any information from their schools?

Hey guys,

just heard from U of Ottawa and they have not yet begun to assess Aboriginal applications yet and no word as to when they will begin. According to Western they evaluate files as they become complete...what exactly this means I don't know, but I just completed my file today so hope to hear soon.

As soon as I hear I will post it and fill everyone in. Does anyone have any information from their schools?

Actually, to add to this I did hear from U of Ottawa today and they said that they will not be looking at AB applicants until sometime within the month but that we should not expect to hear immediately.

I know the University of Manitoba sends out offers to aboriginal applicants in March -allowing for Feb LSAT scores to come out before they make decisions. The rest of the schools I applied to - UofS, A, C, T, NB - are pretty vague. Basically, from now until the first day of class in September. This "now til September" time frame is obviously not for aboriginal applicants who would be attending the PLSNP... unless they teach you how to go back in time. I am going to take a guess and say the middle of May, at the latest, for a decision.

In all honesty, I don't know. I wasn't planning on applying to any Ontario schools, least of all UofT. I just didn't feel my stats would make me competitive and $260 bucks could be spent on many other things. I received a letter and application package in December from UofT highlighting their aboriginal law programs, student groups and other opportunities for funding. They offered to extend their deadline to January 15, 2010. I decided to apply and risk paying for a $260 dollar rejection letter.

Yeah, Ontario schools are expensive. Stupid OUAC.

Yeah, Ontario schools are expensive. Stupid OUAC.

I suppose OLSAS is cool for those that want to apply to all or even multiple law schools in Ontario but the benefits are lost on someone only interested in one. I look at it as a $260 hail mary. I don't have a lot of money -very little actually- but I am loath to turn down an opportunity.

A quick update for those applying to Alberta: The admissions committee is meeting on February 22nd to make decisions on Aboriginal applicants; they expect to send out offers to successful applicants a few days later.

Another tidbit of info...

A quick update for those applying to Alberta: The admissions committee is meeting on February 22nd to make decisions on Aboriginal applicants; they expect to send out offers to successful applicants a few days later.

Man, I can't take the suspense- I hate it!

U Ottawa is the same thing but Western and Queen's seem to do it rolling. Maybe they don't get the same level of AB applicants.

Regarding OUAC...It cost me $600 to apply to Ontario schools due to OUAC fees...and I only applied to half of the schools here- rip off!

I only applied to Osgoode. I fit into the automatically admitted section of the Aboriginal category based on my LSAT and CGPA. I haven't heard back officially yet.

I like Osgoode because they are very clear with their Aboriginal admissions. I am also on par with the students who go there in terms of CGPA (around 3.60) as opposed to U of T where the average GPA is 3.85.

In addition, I like it over other Ontario schools because of the proximity to Bay Street, as my ambitions are on to work in Corporate Law!

Does this mean you send them your application and they, by default, send you a letter of acceptance?

• Like 1

U Ottawa is the same thing but Western and Queen's seem to do it rolling. Maybe they don't get the same level of AB applicants.

Regarding OUAC...It cost me $600 to apply to Ontario schools due to OUAC fees...and I only applied to half of the schools here- rip off!

Dont worry, you'll get in somewhere. What is your top choice?

Dont worry, you'll get in somewhere. What is your top choice?

My top choice is Ottawa- not because of the school itself but really just because I love the lifestyle in Ottawa. I don't know that I will get in for sure, my average was 82/3.7 BUT I had a withdraw/fail which I understand form U Ottawa counts as a 40% and thus drops my average from 3.7 down to 3.36 and a 79%.

My stats were fine prior to that but now I don't know how to interpret my chances with the new adjusted cGPA.

Based on Western's stats I am still competitive but Ottawa is very discreet about their admissions info.

More info:

The Saskatchewan College of Law will make decisions on Aboriginal applicants near the end of March.

My top choice is Ottawa- not because of the school itself but really just because I love the lifestyle in Ottawa. I don't know that I will get in for sure, my average was 82/3.7 BUT I had a withdraw/fail which I understand form U Ottawa counts as a 40% and thus drops my average from 3.7 down to 3.36 and a 79%.

My stats were fine prior to that but now I don't know how to interpret my chances with the new adjusted cGPA.

Based on Western's stats I am still competitive but Ottawa is very discreet about their admissions info.

Sounds like you have an excellent chance at Ottawa under the aboriginal category. I'm hoping for Manitoba but I would be happy to have an acceptance from any school at this point. I wish I could have done even a little better on my LSAT but it was the best I could do with the amount of prep time I had - no excuse, just life.

Sounds like you have an excellent chance at Ottawa under the aboriginal category. I'm hoping for Manitoba but I would be happy to have an acceptance from any school at this point. I wish I could have done even a little better on my LSAT but it was the best I could do with the amount of prep time I had - no excuse, just life.

I hear you, I had the same problem with the LSAT, not a skills issue more a time issue. Working full time, trying to maintain some sort of a life with my wife while studying. In addition I only had 1 month to study, life simply did not allow me to begin any earlier so I spent every spare moment studying and managed to come out with a 158 which I was VERY happy with.

When I thought my average was 82 I had no concerns about my application BUT now that I know my average is much lower than that I worry about acceptance to a school like U of O that is very much GPA heavy.

Based on what I know about Manitoba and the acceptance threads of past students there you should be a shoe in. That said, I have no idea what the competition is like there with such a large Metis population there. Do you have any sense as to how many applicants they received in the AB category last year?

I really liked Queen's response when I asked them when they review AB applicants. They simply said "as early as possible as we want to get people in that category as much notice as possible." Implying that since we may have to uproot and move across the country for the PLPNS it seems reasonable that we should have at least the same notice as early admits.