Uriel

To the 1Ls, on the occasion of their first exams

Uriel    6939
I'll do my best to keep this from being a long and convoluted story

This just in: I am no good at this.

• Like 3

Isaac_Mack    0

Great post Uriel. I'm not a 1L yet, but your post will stay in my back pocket until I need it.Thanks...and congrats on your Bay St gig!

Diplock    9515

I'll add - I too had a poor showing in my first year midterm grades. It isn't a long-term problem. It'll mess up your ability to get a major firm job in 1L (a crap shoot in any event) but otherwise has no long-term bearing on your success in law school.

And kudos to Uriel for taking on an important and timely topic. Too often, lately, my own sporadic contributions here consist of telling people off. Way to carry the torch in terms of bringing something positive as well.

• Like 3

Uriel - congratulations on the job.

I wish I had read something like this when I was in 1L. My midterm grades were also depressingly average, marred by an unattractive C+ in property. I distinctly remember questioning whether law school was meant for me - what was the point if I was never going to get a job? I applied everywhere for a 1L job and ended up with a surprisingly interesting public interest position. My final grades came in and they were significantly better. And as of yesterday, I will be working at a seven sister.

So I'd just like to echo this post by reiterating that your career doesn't end if your 1L midterm grades aren't what they expected. This is only the beginning :)

Uriel    6939
Uriel - congratulations on the job.

Thanks -- you too! If we're not already friends, maybe I'll see you around the Court. (Commerce, not Divisional.) :)

tpetrucci    0

Great post, great topic.

Thanks for taking your time to write it, and congratulations on your job.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

Mathematics    1

Just wanted to echo the "great post" sentiments that have already been shared. I'm a long way away from LS but stories like this inspire me and definitely help keep people from beating themselves up too much. Like you said, if you are able to get into Law School you are capable of handling the pressure. How you are able to deal with pressure and adversity says a lot about the character of a person and if you are willing to pull your boot straps up and work hard, any goal is within reach. Failure cannot be an option!

Oh and congrats on the Bay St. job!

Sincerely,

Mathematics!

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

I don't often post anymore, but I also wanted to echo this post. Last year after midterms I was devasted (then again we had "no downside risk midterms so they didn't REALLY count) but I thought to myself, if I am failing the midterms how on earth am I going to be able to get through 100% exams??? I was especially worried when for one of my midterms (after already recieving a horrible result in Torts) we were told as a class that everyone did very well, and got around X for their grade....when I got my exam back, I definitely did not get around X, and felt like crap. I thought I had studied, I didn't know what I did wrong, I didn't know how to fix it, and I was stressing. But somehow I figured out how to do things, and brought my grades way up for the finals of first term (my worst midterm ended up being my best grade) and now I also have a position on Bay st, at a firm where I know I will be very happy.

DON'T STRESS! (especially those at Osgoode who have 'no downside risk' midterms - they really are to help you no to make it more stressful)

Good luck everyone!

hmmm talking about exams, maybe I should get started on summaries?!?

ihaveseoul    23

Thanks.. I needed this. After a 6 hour property review and crying a little bit inside because of the Rule Against Perpetuities and the Dower Act and Delgamuukw.

I guess there is proof that people survive this stretch.. I mean I see upper year students and lawyers all the time. But, this was a nice cap to the end of a LOOOOONG day.

No disrespect Uriel but at UofT the first set of exams do not not count, so those C's are not on your transcript and that is why you got a Bay St gig. At Osgoode if you get a C in your first set of exams its on your transcript.

Uriel    6939

* The opinions and comments of the above Original Poster do not necessarily reflect those of Lawstudents.ca (hereinafter referred to as "LS.ca"), and are not endorsed any of its moderators, administrators, heirs, assigns or executors, each of whom assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions related therein. LS.ca makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. LS.ca makes no, and expressly disclaims any, representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding the conduct or results of your exams and expressly denies any liability for adverse effects on the employment or psychological state of any individual, group, party or corporation relying thereupon. By reading the above original post, the user of this website waives any and all claims in this jurisdiction or any other without limitation, in tort, contract or equity. Do not taunt happy fun ball. The author further disclaims liability without limitation for the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the statements above, accessed from or via this server or the internet. No advice or information given by the author, his affiliates, friends, associates, pets or LS.ca's respective employees, agents, moderators, administrators or independent contractors shall create any warranty. The above is the intellectual property of the Original Poster, and is subject to copyright in the Province of Ontario, 2009, all rights reserved, patent pending.

I had hoped the above post would suggest not to despair if your December exams don't go well, since it can take you a while to get used to law. You really can go from the bottom of the class to near the top, and that was all I hoped to get across. I didn't intend to imply that unfortunate grades would not go on your transcript. While some of my terrible marks did matter, comprising 30% of grades that ultimately turned out quite well, you're quite correct --- the majority of them did not appear on my final transcript. But since the majority of jobs are picked up off Bay Street, and the majority of employers have access to four full terms when making an articling decision, the fact that you can really lift-off after your first term might be encouraging to some, so I wrote a post to that effect.

I'm not making any representations as to the job you're going to get. I'm saying not to let yourself get down if your December marks are disappointing; you're not stupid and coming to law school was not a terrible idea. People really can come into their own later in the year. That's all. (Although, for the record, I would suspect that if my December grades were on my transcript, I wouldn't have done all that much worse --- I'm not sure there are all that many employers that would throw out someone with an impressive second-term transcript on the basis that they had a rough December. Everyone knows law school is a big transition.)

Thank you, however, for correcting my omission. As you point out, my statement of encouragement and optimism at a very stressful time of year was insufficiently qualified, and someone could have made the error of taking heart to an irresponsible degree.

• Like 1

HB200    1

"No one gets into law school that can't hack it."

I'm not even in yet, but I'm expecting that if I do get in, I'm going to feel a bit like a deer in headlights. I'll remember this.

• Like 1

sandour    0

Dear Uriel,

For those of us facing our first set of law school exams, studying non-stop interspersed with bouts of nervousness and vomiting, your post is the handy after-mint. It's always nice to have a friend who will hand you a mint and offer soothing words of encouragement.

Thank you,

1Ls

Mal    1626

Just bumping this as grades start to trickle in. Personally I have gotten a couple back now.

Wishing all those lawstudents.ca'ers good luck!

snowgirl    0

Mehhhh....B-, B-, B, B, B+

...blah. I am kicking myself about a couple of silly omissions i made, but am pretty much aware where I went wrong, which is better than having no idea why I got low marks. Overall, I'm not gonna dwell. No point in convincing myself that I suck and will not get better. Positivity! :)