1. Forums

1. 271

Discussions about the forums or the Discord server.

1. General

General discussion about law schools or your applications.

U of T vs. Osgoode, Queens vs. Western, so on and so forth: Get advice about which school is better to go to over another.

Questions, study tips, and general discussion about the LSAT.

Questions about lines of credit, loans, and paying for law school.

For applicants or law students looking to offer books / prep materials for purchase or sale.

1. 914

1. 2.6k

OCIs, summer jobs, applying for articling.

1. Ask a Lawyer

Not a lawyer but have a question about what it's like to be one?

1. 6.2k
  • Who's Online   42 Members, 4 Anonymous, 102 Guests (See full list)

• Mountebank
    • CleanHands
    • law01948i29
    • whitetaravancouver
    • biffo852
    • loonie
    • BHC1
    • legallybird
    • Phaedrus
    • pleaseletmein
    • mewtwo101
    • TomCarnivalCruise
    • foddrina
    • torontowaxy
    • Wella645
    • Tuesdaysgone
    • Legal warrior
    • myth000
    • Ben
    • rsk2024
    • soundofconfusion
    • futurreeeelawyerrr
    • GoatDuck
    • Aschenbach
    • Lawstudents20202020
    • forumuserpro
    • JurisPrudent
    • TimbitPancake
    • HeyItsJay02
    • 2003consumed
    • BlockedQuebecois
    • HRLY
    • CB2021
    • concernedut
    • SpecialK
    • oneloveoneL
    • jjbittenbinder123
    • chillypepper
    • judgeejudy
    • fan108
    • Dano
    • GoWestYoungMan

• Recent Posts

• Wella645
      Accepted today!  161 LSAT  B2 4.06/4.33  strong Sask connection! Transcripts were submitted and file marked as complete last week.
    • biffo852
      Consider the fact that Dal is a really good law school with a lot of alumni across the country. Halifax will also be a more interesting place to live for the years. Yes, costs is a factor in law school, but I do think the benefits of Dal do justify the greater cost.
    • biffo852
      Given that money is not a great concern, you want to live in a place that is happening, and you want a reputable school. It seems to me UOttawa would be the best choice. Ottawa is far more happening than either Kamloops or anywhere in New Brunswick.  Ottawa has alumni all over the federal government, the local law firm scene, and also sends a respectable amount of people to Toronto big law.  I would only course Kamloops if you were dead set on practicing in BC. Even then, the tuition is quite high and it's okay to go to BC from Ottawa. UNB? I don't really know of a good reason to go to UNB. 
    • 369WI
      Hi. Are there any active members on this forum that are in-house counsel at places like Aviva, Desjardins, Intact, Definity, etc.? If yes, may you please share your experience working there? Any general information will be great but I am wondering about the following in particular:  Do you like it? What is the compensation like? Where were you before (plaintiff, insurance defence firm, nothing at all related)? Do you hope to stay there for the foreseeable future? Do you think there is a "stigma" to the role? Do you think if you wanted to switch to an insurance defence firm after 1-2 in-house years, that you would be a good candidate? Would you even make that switch? What's your work life balance like? Do you have a billable hour and/or docketing requirement?  If there are any members on this forum that are counsel for banks, like TD Insurance, please feel free to chime in as well. On that note, which other banks have in-house insurance counsel? I know these are a lot of questions, and of course you don't have to answer them all. I would just like a lot of input on the topic as I am considering a career move. For context, I am right out of articling at a plaintiff personal injury firm.  Any other thoughts and suggestions are very welcome. Thank you. 
    • Lawstudents20202020
      If I were you I would look into the cost difference, both tuition and cost of living, as neither are in the province you want to practice in.  Kamloops might be cheaper than Vancouver but it's become significantly more expensive. By the time I left in 2020 I was paying 1400/month for a 1bdroom and it's only gone up since then
    • Ribbons
      UPDATE: Beat the Bar questions are atrocious (tons of errors/typos/incomplete answers), so I turned to Access Bar, which is substantially better AND explains why your answers were wrong which is much better. I will be posting my solicitor plan soon. 
    • soundofconfusion
      Their reputation, especially in Ontario, will be very similar. There will be no real difference in academics or job prospects. You should really just consider whether you'd want to live in Saskatoon or Kamloops for 3 years. Any networking USask will easily facilitate will be with counsel in Sask or AB; any networking TRU will easily facilitate will be with counsel in BC or AB--both pretty useless to you if you want to go back to Ontario. I can't comment on student life at either school specifically, but I would assume they both have their fair share of sports, activities, and clubs to join. USask is cheaper than TRU and the cost of living in Saskatoon will be lower than Kamloops'. That would be the deciding factor for me, in your shoes.
  • Recent Topics

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.